On May 1st we have launched a crowdfunding campaign to Crowd-Author a book as part of my mission to reduce violence and abuse in the world by helping men mature emotionally. You can pledge here on May 1st.
UPDATE, May 1, 2013. 11am:
Feeling blessed by my PR team SocialAgenda Media, and everyone else who’s making my crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo successful! Just three hours after launch and we’d already reached 90% of our goal! Still need your support to hit the goal, hopefully today.
UPDATE, June 1, 2013. 6am: We exceeded our goal.
I often leave my family and voluntarily go into prison to work with inmates willing to risk their lives to rewrite the scripts that put them behind bars. I also teach corporate executives how to change themselves to create a culture of inclusion in their businesses.
I advocate Emotional Maturity and Accountability for men and my book “Wake Up, Man Up, Step Up” is a must read for any man (or woman) ready to do the inner work necessary to change their life.
If you care about the state of our world and the role of men in it, I’m asking for your help.
On May 1st, I’m stepping up to yet another level of believing in myself and this cause and launching an Indiegogo Crowdfunding, actually CROWD-AUTHORING campaign to create a second edition of my book which will be sent into prisons and otherwise used to draw attention to the cause; getting men all over the world to do the hard inner work that will bring them, and us, more peace.
The campaign details and rewards for contributors will be published May 1st at: igg.me/at/ARATAcode.
Here’s an overview of Crowdfunding to help you understand why I’m doing it, how important it is for me to have your support and why you might choose to use it to step up in your life.
Crowdfunding is a relatively new approach to raising capital for projects and businesses by soliciting contributions from a large number of stakeholders.
Campaigns are usually contributions in exchange for rewards but can also be pure donation or investment in return for equity. They provide producers a number of benefits, beyond the financial gains including:
- A compelling project can raise profile and provide a boost to reputation.
- Project initiators can show there is an audience and market for their project.
- It provides good market feedback.
- Project initiators can engage with their audiences. Audience engage in the process by following progress and sharing feedback via comment features on the project’s Crowdfunding page. (PLEASE do comment on our page!)
- Offering the audience access to co-create content as one of the funding incentives.
Crowdfunding allows good ideas that don’t fit a conventional pattern to break through and attract cash. If it does achieve “traction” in this way, not only can the enterprise get seed funding to begin its project, but it may also secure evidence of backing from potential customers and benefit from word of mouth promotion in order to reach the fundraising goal. Companies receiving Crowdfunding support retain control of their operations, since voting rights are not conveyed along with ownership when Crowdfunding.
Crowdfunding also comes with potential risks.
- Failure to meet campaign goals or to generate interest results in a public failure and can negatively impact reputation.
- There is a risk that if the same network of supporters is reached out to multiple times, that network will eventually cease to supply necessary support.
- Concern among supporters that without a regulatory framework, the likelihood of abuse of funds is high.
- Crowdfunding draws a crowd, investors and other interested observers who follow the progress, or lack of progress, of a project.
- Sometimes it proves easier to raise the money for a project than to make the project a success.
- Managing communications with a large number of possibly disappointed investors and supporters can be a substantial, and potentially diverting, task.
We are doing everything we can to maximize the benefits and minimize the risks in our campaign and respectfully request your support. Our mission is to see that by 2015, 1 million men in crisis receive practical guidance, tools and inspiration for emotional maturity and accountability so they can prevent and resolve conflict in their families, workplaces and communities.
UPDATE, May 1, 2013. 11am:
Feeling blessed by my PR team at SocialAgenda Media, and everyone else who’s making my crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo successful! Just three hours after launch and we’d already reached 90% of our goal! Still need your support to hit the goal, hopefully today.